Follow

Monday, July 5, 2010

freedom...

For the last couple of years I spent the fourth of July with my second family, the Rileys, at the beach. With their trip moved to August I wasn't sure what to do with my three-day weekend. With some last minute planning I went to visit my little sister in Johnson City, Tenn. We had a perfect low-key weekend with plenty of sun, food and conversation. Saturday we escaped to Watauga Lake to lay out and it was an awesome view. There's something about laying out that is so relaxing to me. Despite a couple of curious creepers and an uptight park ranger we had a great day followed up by a sweet dinner and neighborhood fireworks.

I decided to drive back Sunday so I could have Monday to rest up before work and allow Kelsie and Barton to enjoy a day off together. I ended up crashing a bbq/cookout (depending on where you're from), losing miserably in cornhole and watching some more neighborhood fireworks from the comfort of the roof.

To be honest, the fourth of July hasn't always had a lot of meaning to me. I don't know that I've ever not known freedom to truly appreciate it. The holiday becomes more about fireworks and the beach and less about the history. I'm still not sure I totally grasped the holiday... but I really am thankful for our freedom as Americans and grateful to those who work to protect it. I won't forget this weekend for a long time.

Random sidenote... I watched the series finale of "Dawson's Creek" last week. I've seen it plenty but felt like reminiscing with Dawon, Pacey and the gang. It takes me back to high school watching with Erin, Kami and Betty. Quality quotable moments for sure...
"I like that you ramble when you're nervous. I like that I know that you ramble when you're nervous. I like that I still make you nervous." - Dawson

"And then there's love. I want you to love to the tips of your fingers, and when you find that love, wherever you find it, whoever you choose, don't run away from it. But you don't have to chase after it either. You just be patient, and it'll come to you, I promise, and when you least expect it..." - Jen

"When she's around I just feel more alive. I think people underestimate how important that is." - Pacey
"I think they overestimate it too. As much as you want to, you can't rely on someone else to make you feel alive. It's an inside job." - Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment