Follow

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

men and women...


One of my favorite bloggers's Bianca Juarez had Joy Eggerichs' guest blog last week and I didn't even get through the whole blog before I got stuck on a quote.

We asked over 7,000 people if in conflict they feel more unloved or disrespected?
83% of men said they felt more disrespected.
72% of women said they felt more unloved.

I immediately copied and pasted it on Facebook and no one seemed to care (aka no likes or comments). Of course it would be awesome if we could just eliminate conflict, but in the likely event we can't, it was the statistics that struck me. There are tons of books and research proving men and women are different, but I'm thinking those differences are even more apparent in conflict. We tend to communicate in the way we prefer and we address conflict in the same way.

It is affirming to know I'm not the only woman who fears being unloved. I'm sure there are situations when I've felt disrespected, but it doesn't define me like love does. The bigger question becomes what to do with the research?

Eggerichs suggests, "So, while I know I won’t be perfect and either will he…I’m making a choice in my singleness to be aware of how my husband is going to feel in conflict and the sensitivity he has to feeling like I really don’t 'like' him in conflict."

Awareness is crucial... ideally we might all feel loved and respected even dare I say in conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment