Follow

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

facebook drought...


I've spent the last 42 days without logging into facebook. And with five days left of lent, I've survived. This is only the second time in my life I've even given up something for lent. The first was 11 years ago when I felt like I was spending too much time hanging out on the couches of the lion's den. I gave up the den for lent other than eating and actually spent time in the library and my room doing homework. Crazy concept for a college student I know!

Fast forward to last month and the anticipation of lent. I'm not committed to always giving up something. I think people have taken the period of time out of context, but it was meant to be a time of preparation for Easter. I'm not sure that giving up chocolate or not biting my nails is going to help me get ready for Easter, but I felt like I could use a refocus this year.

I have nothing against facebook itself. I think it is an awesome tool for people to communicate and stay in touch like never before. I have a slight problem with the number of people who want to be my "friend" but never actually communicate with me, but that's for another blog. I do have an issue when I start to spend way too much time facebook stalking rather than something else more productive.

I look forward to logging in Sunday and seeing pictures of a friend's baby and a school group's mission trip not to mention all of the things I don't even know happened in the last 47 days. I'm sure I'll need to apologize for all of the birthdays I missed and the messages that went unanswered, but I am grateful for the e-mails, phone calls and texts I received that might have normally been answered via facebook or even just facebook stalking.

Over the last 42 days without facebook I have... read a book not required for work... blogged an average of once a week... had more actual conversations with people... not reacted to people differently based on their status...

Will I get back on facebook? Absolutely. But I hope my hiatus has given me a different perspective on the uber addictive social networking site. I'm just seeking a balance in the midst of extremes.

No comments:

Post a Comment