Follow

Saturday, April 2, 2011

being an aunt...


I have had the pleasure of being an aunt for the majority of my life. One of the benefits of having a sister 17 and a half years older than me is her kids are probably more like what would be cousins for other people. My nephews are 25 and 17 (almost 18) and I love them dearly. We don't talk often, but we have our moments when I am so proud to not only be an aunt, but to be their aunt.

When Cameron was little, he went to one of those Santa's shops to buy gifts for his family. I was so excited he bought me this cheesy pin that said, "#1 Aunt." I could never get either one of them to call me "Aunt Kirbie" so having him semi-acknowledge it was one of the best gifts ever.

With Zac three years behind me in school, I couldn't wait until I would be a senior and he would be a freshman at the same high school. Unfortunately they opened a new high school my junior year that never let that happen. I guess he still had a taste of being related to me when I made a fool of myself at a lacrosse game and kids at his school were talking about it. Word travels fast in small towns!

When I was living in Maryland, Zac was playing in a bad that had the opportunity to play at the Recher and I went to see him. I couldn't understand a word they said, but knew how excited he was to be playing there and was so proud of him for rocking out. A few years later he joined Pianos Become the Teeth and they made their way south during one of their summer tours. When they needed a place to stay in NC, I offered up my house and had the treat of housing some exhausted "Post-Rock/Post-Hardcore/Screamo" band guys for a night. I took them to lunch and tried to be the cool aunt for a night and sent them on their way before I blew my cover.

This past fall I had the chance to show Cam my school in case he ever wanted to come here. We probably need to get a varsity ice hockey team before he'd ever take it seriously, but I was excited for he and his mom to visit. Cam and Zac have a lot in common, but they're so different too. It's been cool to get to know both of them as they grow up. Zac deals with a lot of pressure to grow up and get a "real job" and Cam is trying to seek out dreams beyond the walls of the eastern shore of Maryland. I think they're both on the right track.

A couple of weeks ago Cam sent me an essay he was writing for a scholarship that he needed help with. He is a better writer than he originally let on. Next week Zac and the rest of Pianos Become the Teeth will head to Europe for a tour... an overseas tour. Both of my nephews are making a difference and I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment