Follow

Saturday, January 15, 2011

off the map...


Shonda Rimes' new television show "Off the Map"debuted to mix reviews this week. I only started watching "Grey's Anatomy" regularly a year ago and watch "Private Practice" sparingly, but wanted to check out the new series for myself. I wasn't blown away, but still entertained.

My favorite moment was in the last five minutes when Ben Keeton was sharing with Lily Brenner. "You ever seen the Southern Cross?  Right there, those five stars. They say Magellan used it to find true south whenever he got lost. They gave him the strength to keep going."

I had never heard of the Southern Cross before... probably because it's visible from the Southern Hemisphere. Often called the Crux, the constellation features five stars in the shape of a cross. Can we talk about the double meaning of Keeton's quote? Whenever Magellan was lost, he used the cross to find his way... to gain the strength to keep going. When I get lost where am I looking? I don't think a constellation has the answers, but I think the ultimate cross does.

No comments:

Post a Comment