Follow

Sunday, January 30, 2011

12th...

This is my 201st post on my blog. Of course it's a blog that originated on myspace and have since moved, but still... hard to believe I came up with 200 things to say previously!

On Thursday I said I'd write a blog about being 12th and here it is Sunday and I'm just sitting down to do it. There is this theme in our culture that we have to be first. Winners are rewarded with fame, money, acceptance... challenging all of us to be the best. Unfortunately it's impossible for us to all be "the best." I don't want to quit trying to do my best... but I also want to be content with my position even if it's not the best.

Some situations in life rank us based on our abilities which can be disappointing, humbling and sometimes just plain frustrating. The question is, what are we going to do about it? We can settle and say, "Sweet I'm number 12* and going to chill out here without exerting anymore effort." Sometimes we settle because we're afraid of trying and failing. It's easier to say you failed because you didn't try, rather than to admit you did your best and still didn't do well. If we don't settle, we could just blame someone else. "I would be number 1, but Joey cheated and caused me to drop 11 spots to number 12, but it's totally not my fault." Always an easy way out, but usually not true. If I can avoid settling or casting blame, I hope I can keep battling... taking control of what I can control and letting go of those things outside of my control.

In the big scheme of things, I'm arguing for the underdog. How many times is a team ranked number one, just to get knocked off by a lower seed? I'd much rather defy expectations than fall short. I also love spinning a potentially crushing experience into something positive... especially for the people around me that I care about!

*Under full disclosure it should be known that I love the number 12 and would thoroughly enjoy being 12th... or 21st in the event of dyslexia.

No comments:

Post a Comment