Follow

Sunday, February 26, 2006

methco

I had an afternoon of reminiscing about methco. David Merrill had videotaped my last FCA in the cave before I graduated and made a copy for me. Every once in awhile I like to pop it in for a feel-good spree. I know I was so anxious to graduate and leave, but watching the tape, there are definitely things I miss... in particular a bunch of college kids crammed in a basement for some awesome worship, turning the lights off to see the stars, post-fca ice cream runs, finding years of dirt in the couches and 80s carpet, crazy skits that I had tried to put a stop to, stupid costumes I piled on from the storage closet, sleepovers in the cave, seeing all of my friends in one place... FCA was probably the highlight of my time at methco. Even when there was drama surrounding us, it was one of the few things that kept me sane.

On my last night Beth sang a song that she had promised to sing before I left... Beth and I came a long way the three years I was there... we were roommates our freshman year and didn't always get along, but we always went to FCA together. Having her sing at my last one two and a half years later, brought things full circle.

I tried to speak that night too... I cringe now every time I watch it. I have to fast forward before I start tallying every time I said um, or the awkward silences when I said things people didn't expect, or the nervous fidgeting while I sped through the tough parts. I don't know if I said anything worthwhile that night, but it was therapeutic for me.

Mike led some great worship and Peter Rochelle spoke... great moments... plenty of tears shed... I miss having people like that right downstairs or across the street. I don't think we realized how spoiled we were... perhaps we could have avoided the pettiness, sucked up our pride and loved the time we had. There's no point living in those days, but every once in awhile taking a step back to remember helps me appreciate today.

No comments:

Post a Comment