Follow

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

v-day hoopla

Valentine's Day usually comes along with the lovers and the haters. I haven't heard many guys express excitement about the holiday and the only girls that I hear shrieking with joy are ones who are attached to romantic guys about to propose or new relationships where you're still in the "honeymoon" stage. There are plenty of bitter single people out there... but even if you're in a relationship, it can be an awkward time trying to find an appropriate gift and/or date activity that defines perhaps a previously undefined relationship. Should a guy stick to the flowers and chocolate? What is a girl supposed to get a guy that means the same thing? When is jewelry too soon? Go out to eat or cook at home? Find a sappy professing your love card or a funny still getting to know you card? Too many questions... not always a lot of good answers.

Last year I read an article in the Washington Post about "love's dying ritual" all about the new rules of dating that our society has created... straying away from the previous times of courtship. I don't really care about the terminology as much as I am I concerned about the games we play. William Raspberry has some good points... I won't post the whole article in case lengthy posts make you nervous... but hopefully you can access it from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21979-2005Feb13.html

So I didn't have a valentine today... but I did get flowers from my boss... okay all of the employees did... but I did talk to one of my best guy friends last night... okay he did tell me all about his v-day plans with his girlfriend... but I don't want to place my self worth in valentine's day... I did get cards from my parents and sister... messages from friends and people I haven't seen in awhile... and even without all of that I know the greatest love that goes beyond february 14th...

No comments:

Post a Comment