Follow

Sunday, August 5, 2012

landmark eve...


Tomorrow's the big day. I'm set to embark on a new career... or maybe an extension of my career. This entire summer has felt like I've been getting reacquainted with being uncomfortable. I had to brush off the dust of my resume... stuttered through some interviews... and tomorrow get to experience a "first day of work"for the first time in six years.

There's something unsettling about putting yourself out there... listing everything you've done on a sheet of paper (or more depending on which job search advice you take) and letting people evaluate you. If you're fortunate enough to get a response, you try to prepare for any number of questions during a series of interviews. At the same time they're interviewing you, you're interviewing them and everyone is trying to size the other up to see if this is a good fit. There is a huge sense of relief and excitement once everyone decides they like each another to hire and be hired. And then you actually go to work.

Since accepting the new job, I've had a ton of questions about it. What are you going to be doing? What are your hours like? Is it like what you were doing? What were  you doing again? I don't know all of the answers... or it seems at least I can't answer them well enough. I have a general idea... I've worked with someone who has done my job. In reality, I'm resting in the faith the search committee has placed in me to do the job. I'm sure there will be plenty of awkward or at least uncomfortable moments as I have to ask stupid rookie questions or work twice as long to complete something that will hopefully be quicker in a year. I've resigned myself to the fact I will make mistakes... but I'm also confident my years of experience in mistake-making have prepared me to fix them efficiently and without too much destruction!

I had a busy (and sometimes stressful) month transitioning and I'm not naive enough to think the transition is over, but I am anxious to get started on this new adventure. Here goes something more than nothing but not quite everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment