Follow

Sunday, November 6, 2011

church...

Church... and the role of church in our lives has been on my heart lately. One of my friends found an amazing church a couple of years ago and I really think it changed her faith. Another friend went through a life-changing experience and afterward, he got plugged into his church where people surrounded him with love and acceptance.

In a discussion Friday we were talking about moving and church. People move for jobs all the time, but don't often move for church... unless church is your job. I took that as before accepting a job or moving to a random city, it makes sense to do your research and "interview" churches just like you would be interviewed for a job. If you're plugged into a church you love, usually your pastor will have suggestions of other churches across the country based on pastors or mentors who he trusts. With today's internet, often you can watch a service from the comfort of your own home thousands of miles away.

With that being said... a discussion Saturday reminded me how sometimes we replace God with church... or pastor so and so... or book such and such. That church didn't save you... nor did that person or that book. God did. God uses people to do His work... but I think they should be pointing us back to Him. Too often I feel like people can start to worship the pastor or the church instead of God. I don't think that gives us an excuse to not get involved or not to go... but like most things, there is a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment