Follow

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

enough...



I was doing so much better blogging this summer... and then reality hit and work took over. I had every intention of finishing the Elijah story a few days after my last blog and we see how well that worked out.

Regardless... here I am with a thought for the day. In 1 Kings 17 Elijah had this awesome experience where he was reminded of how adequate God is. God came through when he felt abandoned and inadequate. Two chapters later, Elijah thinks he has hit his max. Jezebel was ready to kill him when he thought Ahab was going to fix everything. He had been on this huge high and now everything seemed to be falling apart. He ran away, into the wilderness and told God he had enough. "He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough, LORD' he said. 'Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.' Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep."

I can only imagine how Elijah felt... Scared, burned out, anxious... And yet rather than trusting God to take care of him, he essentially quit. He threw in the towel and went to sleep. God didn't let him off the hook so easily and an angel woke him up and made him eat. God gave him food and rest in preparation for his journey. After 40 days and 40 nights (coincidence? I don't think so) Elijah was sent to Mt. Horeb for a complete transformation. I love 1 Kings 19. God took a man from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. God wasn't in the fire or the earthquake, but in a small whisper... giving Elijah the peace he needed to continue his journey. You know who else was at the end of the journey... Elisha. Food, sleep and manpower. I love it.

Too simple? Perhaps. But I am strengthened from Elijah's journey. We're not on this journey alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment