Follow

Thursday, July 7, 2011

women's soccer in the media...

I'm breaking from the normal routine to write about the Women's World Cup. I know it doesn't interest everyone, but as I've mentioned before I consider myself a pretty big fan of the US Women's National Team (USWNT) and have been tracking them through the tournament.

One of my frustrations with sports in general would be the media's portrayal of events. My profession might even group me in with the media sometimes, but I usually feel more like a liaison between the university and the media and I hope I can represent both sides fairly. I get frustrated when the media are desperate for ratings or readership or maybe just attention and end up making something out of nothing.

Anyone who follows the USWNT knows they didn't take the easy road getting to this year's WWC. They really haven't had the best success in world cups since the always remembered 1999 championship. In reality, the women have only won two of the five cups. The team has won three of four gold medals in the Olympics and the team entered the WWC ranked number one despite dropping two games in 2011 prior to the tournament. I don't think we are the dominant force in women's soccer as I once may have argued. Whether it's parity in the game or the team never recovering from the retirement of the "Fab Five," the USWNT has not been cruising as the media might like everyone to believe.

Therefore... I don't think yesterday's loss to Sweden was a surprise, a wake-up call or a reality check. I was not stunned or shocked. I was disappointed and frustrated, but the media (including print, web and tv) has portrayed it as a huge upset. Sweden is ranked fifth, so in terms of rankings, yes it was an upset, but I'd argue the rankings.

Hope Solo has garnered a lot of attention since her "outburst" after the USWNT 4-0 loss to Brazil in the 2007 WWC. I thought she had a point... I didn't agree with her method. She has since criticized the media (or maybe culture as a whole) for the difference in expectations between men and women.

"People like to keep everything so positive -- like we're the girls next door. We like to do everything together, and all that. Why are we sugarcoating? Just because we're teammates doesn't mean we're all best friends. But that's how women's sport have been portrayed. We're not your girls next door. We have opinions, we have arguments."

Her argument is a completely separate blog... but just reinforces my point we have some issues to address with the media. Since the WWC began, Solo mentioned getting painkillers for her shoulder and everyone jumped on it thinking they had found a weakness. She's recovered from surgery, but Solo finally got tired of everyone questioning her and assured ESPN viewers she was fine and it wouldn't affect her performance. Leading up to the match against Sweden the media jumped on Abby Wambach and Heather O'Reilly missing pre-game practices. Wambach still played a full 90 on Wednesday and after being questioned after the game Wambach said (paraphrased) "I keep saying I'm going to play every minute of this tournament and no one believes me." Why do we have to make something out of nothing?

Before the USWNT's first game of the tournament, head coach Pia Sundhage switched the lineup starting Lauren Cheney instead of Megan Rapinoe. The media jumped on it almost trying to start drama. Cheney scored and celebrated with the bench, perhaps putting the issue to rest. Instead in the second game Rapinoe entered as a sub and scored with the announcer, Ian Darke, shouts, "Rapinoeee... ohh there's an answer to the coach!" Yes, everyone is fighting for playing time. Yes, Rapinoe would probably prefer to start. But I feel like the media would love to create some dissension and let the USWNT be a Jersey Shore spin-off.

I know the old saying, "any publicity is good publicity" and I'm sure the USWNT follows it to some extent. It's been awhile since a women's sports team took over the nation like it did in 1999. I get that... but I still don't want to sell out.

No comments:

Post a Comment