Follow

Sunday, September 9, 2007

unexpected

"We all think we're going to be great and we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren't met. But sometimes expectations sell us short. Sometimes the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected. You've got to wonder why we cling to our expectations, because the expected is just what keeps us steady. Standing. Still, the expected's just the beginning, the unexpected is what changes our lives."

I just read this quote for the first time tonight. I researched a bit and most people credit it to Grey's Anatomy and while it seems like everyone else in the world is watching, it's one of the few shows I don't really watch. I feel like I could go in a lot of different directions with the quote, but I guess I first want to set the blog record straight. Sometimes I just need to vent... we all have bad days... some days a vent should stay private... some days I guess I hope maybe someone can relate to my vent hence its presence on myspace... something positive has to come out of stalker space... right?

Anyway... Expectations are dangerous. The Grey's quote is referring to our own expectations, but I think I've been more crippled by others' expectations than my own... but then again maybe they were perceived expectations that I placed on myself. Too often I find myself trying to exceed expectations... and if I don't have expectations, I try to create them. Do you have to have expectations to experience the unexpected?

I've come to a point when I don't have the energy to think too far ahead. I'm typically a planner and carry a yearly calendar around with me... and part of that is a requirement of my job but outside of my work, I want to live the unexpected. The word "screw" has a few different definitions depending on the context, but I find myself saying "screw it" more often... as in what's the worst that could happen? or what the heck? or I'm tired of over-thinking it... either way... let's do it. I haven't forsaken my morals, but I also don't want to miss out on something life has to offer me. I've been steady... standing... I'd almost rather fall than stay where I am... I need to move... I've heard "the expected's just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment