Follow

Monday, April 3, 2006

skype

I am going to try to limit as much of the cheese ball factor as possible, but I had to give some props to skype. Prior to yesterday I had heard bits and pieces of headlines about skype and internet communication but didn't really know what it was, or why I would need it. But then... I downloaded it...

Almost four years ago I went to Orlando for a weekend to meet Michelle Akers. Well that was the original intention, but I ended up learning a ton and meeting a bunch of good people. I kept in touch with a few after the big shindig.... but it can be difficult to maintain a friendship that's based off of a weekend years ago. However... somehow Ciara and I managed to be pretty good e-mail buddies while I lived vicariously through her multi-country living as we rehashed soccer, failed or unattempted relationships and navigating the "real world". Instant messenger was added to the mix in the last year but trying to connect time zones can be difficult when she's in canada or denmark. Basically, I've been keeping up with this chick for almost four years but haven't seen or "talked" to her since Orlando... until skype came to the rescue.

Skype allows you to make "phone calls" through your computer... free... or you can call from your computer to a phone cheap... I guess cell phones have limited the long distance calls we pay for because we stick to free nights and weekends or the "in" network... but I might be skype's newest fan if nothing else but for cheap international calls with friends met randomly four years ago. Do you think I could get an endorsement deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment