Follow

Sunday, August 28, 2011

growing up...

I've decided one of the most important lessons you learn growing up is how to deal with conflict, specifically conflict in relationships. It seems our instinct is to walk (or sometimes run) away. Someone is annoying us or has made us mad or is just not holding our attention anymore and so we would prefer to just get out of the situation. Sometimes we get ourselves in too deep and can't figure out how to get out so we just tiptoe away hoping no one will notice.

I would like to think that as we grow up we might learn how to better handle situations. I think in most situations people deserve honesty, and by that I don't mean hurtful honesty - check your intentions. If your roommate is driving you crazy, talk to them. If your coach sucks, talk to them. If your boyfriend or girlfriend is boring you, talk to them. If we're all grown ups, we should be able to handle a conversation. I tend to encourage people to ask questions rather than pull out your list of 100 reasons why you suck. I'm not so naive to think talking always fixes things, but I feel like it gives the other person an opportunity to change or at the very least understand where you're coming from before you run away.

Let's be grown ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment