Follow

Sunday, February 4, 2007

aunt elsie

In 1904 my great-grandparents gave birth to my great-aunt Elsie Reamy... She was one of seven kids including my grandmother Edna... (yeah Cliff and Roberta didn't dole out great names-- Elsie, Edna, Irma, Elizabeth, Pearl, Presley, Billy... but I guess it runs in the family)... All seven kids live(d) on the eastern shore of maryland with my grandmother spending some of her life in the richmond, va area. Aunt Elsie married into the Porter family and they lived on a great farm where my dad spent a lot of time while he was growing up. I always loved visiting because they had a gas pump in their driveway.

My mom's parents passed away when I was in fifth grade... My dad's dad (Edna's husband) passed away before I was born... My grandmother suffered from dementia and was moved to an assisted living home while I was in high school. Some days she knew who I was and other days she was getting into the wrong bed with random people in the home. She passed away in 2003 just a few months before I graduated from college. It was weird to be 20 years old and grandparent-less. Some 20 year-olds haven't even been to a funeral.

In 2004 we celebrated Aunt Elsie's 100th birthday. She was the star of the town with a big feature in the newspaper and a huge party. Her back had started to roll a bit, but she was still trucking around just needing someone to support her and she had all of her senses. It was comforting to have her recognize me and know me... to spend time with me... She was the grandmother I didn't have.

On January 17th, my mom e-mailed kelsie and I to tell us Aunt Elsie was in the hospital with pneumonia and they weren't sure she would make it through the night. Anyone that has lived 102 years has lived a great life, but how do you prepare to let go of someone that has been such a big part of everything I know. The last couple of weeks have been full of ups and downs before my dad called me Saturday morning to tell me Aunt Elsie had passed away.

There is some peace that she is not in pain anymore... some admiration for what a tremendous life she lived in almost 103 years... and some sadness that I won't see her for awhile. In the meantime... my Aunt Elizabeth will turn 100 in 15 months... (yes women on my dad's side live forever)

And one of my favorite memories with my family is waffle house before my grandmother's funeral... all of us traipsing in belting out the waffle house song in our "sunday best" is a classic... so I'm hoping for good memories on Wednesday despite the sad occasion.

Aunt Elsie... never forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment